Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, April 24, 2016

How to Create a Collage of Your Paintings

Plein Air Studies from PACE16 Tucson, Arizona      all pastel   ©Karen Margulis
The first thing I did when I got home was to start my laundry. I find the longer I procrastinate unpacking the harder it is to tackle it. Diving in and getting it done is the best approach. The second thing I did was to take out all of the paintings I did during the Plein Air Convention. My husband was surprised that I didn't have more for a 2 1/2 week trip but I reminded him that help of that was spent in the car driving from Atlanta to Tucson! The rest of the time was spent teaching a workshop and attending convention sessions. So overall I was pleased with what I accomplished. It was time to make a collage!

5x7 pastel study


It is always a good thing to take some time to review the work you do over the course of a few weeks. It helps you to see what you did well and what you might need to work on. One way to do this is to physically set out your paintings ....line them up against a wall and study them. Take notes. Is there a common thread that runs through all of them? Is there something that you are doing consistently well...or not so well?

Ideally, this evaluation should be done every few months. There is a simple way to do this instead of taking the paintings out physically.....create a digital collage. I learned about a wonderful website that allows you to make a free photo collage when I was doing Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 painting challenge. She recommended Picmonkey  and it is a great way to make an easy collage of your work. This collage can be used in many ways...make cards, Facebook banners, promotions of all kinds. It is also an excellent way to see a collection of your work all in one place!

All you need to do is visit the PicMonkey website and select Collage. Next you upload the photos you want to use and choose a layout. You can change the size and color of the border. Be sure to save your collage when you are done.  Have fun with making a collage of your own paintings!

a collage of my paintings for my Facebook cover photo



5 comments:

Bobbe's Community Food said...

Love this Karen - thanks for the tip. :>)

Sheila said...

They look wonderful all together!

robertsloan2art said...

They look great all together! I have my favorites among them but the overall effect of both collages is wonderful. Love the one you made for Facebook, that's elegant. Also today's 5 x 7" landscape is so simple and elegant.

Shiphrah Moses said...

Ive been following your blog and Facebook page for a while now. Ive been a pastel artist for a few years and Ive learnt a lot from you. I love your paintings and the generosity with which you share information. I hope i will be able to attend your workshop some day.
I have a question about starting art classes from home. What kind of permit does one require especially for tax purposes? Since Ive been in the US not too long Im not aware of the requirements and the legalities involved . It would be great if you could shed some light on this.I live in San Ramon , CA.
Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you.

Prashanti Moses.

Karen said...

Hi Prashanti
Thank you for your kind words. I wish I had the answer on conducting art classes in your home . It is most likely that each city has their own rules and regulations. I would recommend you check with the town or city where you live.
Thanks again!