Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Saturday, May 16, 2015

How to Paint Daisies in Pastel Using a Watercolor Underpainting


'Daisies Make me Smile'             9x12              pastel            ©Karen Margulis
sold
Daisies make me smile!  I love to paint them but I wasn't always successful. In fact anytime I tried to add wildflowers to a painting they would look childish and sweet. I didn't want that! I wanted my wildflowers to look authentic ...to look like they belonged in the landscape and not just an afterthought. I wanted them to look as wild and free as I saw them.  But they always looked stiff and boring.

I didn't give up.  I just practiced and observed and tried different techniques.  I am still learning but at least now my daisies don't look like they were painted by a preschool child!  I have discovered ways to help me paint them better.  Last year I put together a step by step demo on how I paint daisies using a watercolor underpainting.

The demo is available as a pdf booklet in my Esty shop for $6. Click here for details 

The cover of the pdf booklet
I am sharing the demo again in honor of my upcoming Wildflower Demo at the IAPS convention. You could say I have wildflowers on my mind!  This demo is 30 pages filled with 60 color photos. I have documented each step of the painting from the watercolor underpainting all the way through the layering of the pastels.  I extensively cover the watercolor underpainting stage....something I didn't always have great success with!  Through the many photos and my description you will be able to see how I work through the addition of pastel while preserving the underpainting. Here are a few sample photos:


close up photo of watercolor underpainting
sample from the pdf demo

This demo is a PDF file so you can either print it out and staple the pages into a booklet or just save it and follow on your computer or tablet. I know several artist who like to follow and paint along on their iPads.
I would love for you to take a closer look and consider giving this demo a try. I have 11 other demos available as well. They can be found in my Etsy shop.
Here is a link to the demos.

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

That's interesting. Thank you! I've always hated drawing or painting daisies. I've done it occasionally anyway but they're my least liked flower form. You nailed why. Now it makes sense. They look sweet and childish unless handled masterfully.

Tempted to get that demo, it sounds good. Yours lose the sugary sweetness and just look wild.