Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Adding Spice to a Winter Landscape

'Winter is Beautiful'              8x10          pastel           ©Karen Margulis
click here to purchase $125
 I am working through my stack of reference photos from my recent trip to Chicago. It wasn't officially winter but the snow and cold made it seem like the middle of winter. I had fun taking photos and I am having even more fun being inspired by them.

Today I took a break from cooking....I am now hosting my family of 16 for both Christmas Eve and Christmas dinners due to my cousins having the flu!  I only had time to work on a quick painting so I decided to redo one of my older winter landscapes that just lacked punch.

old painting in need of some spice
I loved the textured board but the painting was dull and muddy. I began by brushing off most of the pastel leaving a ghost image. It was actually the perfect backdrop for the wonderful white tree and red bushes that I have been wanting to paint.  All I needed to do was draw the big tree, hint at the background trees and add the red bushes in front!

After brush out and new tree added
It was a fun way to revive an old painting that was just sitting in my pile!  Now back to baking deserts!

1 comment:

robertsloan2art said...

Beautiful painting and so cool the way you redid it. I like the new version much better than the one you scraped.

Wow! That's a lot of people to cook for. My hat's off to you. Hope some of them volunteer to help in the kitchen or that's just insane. Good luck with it!